We talked about shipping and delivery in general, but what about a more specific feature, like furniture transportation? What you should know about it?
"I won't carry this!" That’s what you would say, knowing that you have to move furniture - and it does not matter whether it is an old antique chest or a modern corner sofa. And in the situation of moving to another place furniture is a really big problem that requires a special solution.
Moving furniture is a tough nut to crack. It needs to be disassembled, then packed, then loaded into the car, properly placed in the van, secured so that nothing is damaged or dropped during transportation, unloaded, assembled back, and put in its place.
If you are about to move out or you are interested in furniture transportation and delivery, then this article will definitely help make it easier. We will tell you what nuances you need to take into account before transporting furniture, how to properly disassemble, pack and load it into the car. And also what you need to consider if you have different types of furniture - cabinet one, modular or antique. Without secret life hacks, it will be a difficult task. Among other things, we added a must-read checklist, which will help to avoid commonplace mistakes when transporting furniture.
And if you need this information because you are willing to buy some furniture pieces, you can no longer think about furniture transportation because on the New York Furniture Outlets, it is not your problem.
The content of the article:
● Large or tall furniture may not fit in the car.
● Furniture can be damaged when loaded into an elevator or truck.
● Fittings, shelves, or furniture parts can be lost during transportation.
● Furniture can be very heavy - without special skills, it will be difficult to transport it yourself.
● Irregularly shaped furniture or large furniture is difficult to pack.
● It is necessary to understand in advance the total volume and dimensions of the furniture so that it all fits into the car (it is important to know how to correctly arrange it in the van).
● Large sofas and wardrobes can be time-consuming to transport.
Don't assume that moving your furniture is one tricky day. It is a multi-part movie that begins with a preparation process. The culmination of any move will, of course, be the loading of furniture into the car - there is where to tickle your nerves, but the denouement of the story and the final credits is the arrangement of furniture in a new place.
Preparation. First, you need to remove all the fittings and pack them in a separate package. Then you need to remove the shelves and pull out the drawers - all this also needs to be wrapped in a protective package. Then comes the removal of glass elements and mirrors, if, of course, they are removable. It is better to pack glasses and mirrors in bubble wrap.
Disassembly of furniture. At this stage, it is necessary to disassemble the furniture into its component parts as much as possible. Screwdrivers will help you with this. For example, transporting a corner sofa may take longer as the sofa will need to be disassembled into several blocks.
Furniture packaging. When everything is disassembled, you need to carefully pack the furniture in an envelope- it will protect it from damage. It is better to wrap especially fragile elements either in a bubble wrap or even in bedspreads.
Labeling of packed furniture parts. Labeling occurs in parallel with packaging: as soon as you have packed an item, immediately sign it. The inscriptions should tell you how to install the element later, what kind of part it is: "Caution: fragile parts" - this is how mirrors, glass shelf doors are marked, "Top" - important when transporting partially disassembled furniture, "Open here" - because the fittings are usually dismantled during transportation, this inscription will help you navigate how to put correctly the furniture while unloading.
Loading and transportation of furniture. When loading, you should pay special attention to the transportation of furniture through doorways in the apartment and to the turns on staircases, because the largest number of cases of damage to furniture occurs here.
Furniture can be transported in a packaging and non-packaging way. The packaging method involves loading and moving furniture in a packaging container in order to deliver the goods without damage. For these purposes, trucks with the option of sideloading are suitable. A useful addition to such packagings would be the presence of lashing straps. The main requirement for the packaging method of transporting furniture is tight packing with no empty space between packages with furniture. The non-packaging method, accordingly, implies the transportation of furniture without packaging.
Transport for transporting furniture. Vehicles for transportation can be different: ordinary trucks, trucks with the possibility of side loading (they are necessary for large-sized furniture that cannot be disassembled into parts), and special furniture carriers. You need to know in advance how much special transport costs - most likely, it must be ordered at least a week before the transportation. If you are not sure that all the furniture will fit, check the volume of the van and calculate everything in advance.
Correct placement of the furniture in the vehicle
How to load furniture into a car depends a lot on the type of furniture. Furniture can be a cabinet, modular, upholstered, and even antique. Each type of furniture has certain rules for loading and its own transportation features.
How to properly transport cabinet furniture. The advantage of cabinet furniture is that it can be easily disassembled without damage. It can be transported both intact and disassembled. Moving elements and mechanisms must be detached from the main part by packing in foil or boxes. Decorative elements and other accessories must be removed, put in a bag and glued to furniture with adhesive tape.
How to properly transport modular furniture. Such furniture can be easily disassembled and assembled, so it is quite easy to transport the modules. All large modules must be loaded first, then medium-sized modules.
How to properly transport upholstered furniture. The difficulty of transporting upholstered furniture is that it is almost incomprehensible. Small furniture - ottomans, chairs - you don't need to disassemble, of course. Transformer furniture (sofa-bed, chair-bed) must be fixed in one position with packing foil.
How to properly transport exclusive and antique furniture. When transporting exclusive furniture, it is necessary to dismantle all removable mechanisms, accessories and make a partial disassembly of the old joints, which hold tightly. It is better to pack antiques in bubble wrap. In addition, use foam rubber for laying the internal elements.
Use a soft corrugated board or foam to protect hard elements. Remember that you can only load antiques in one-tier. The floor of the van must be prepared in advance: lay soft corrugated cardboard or bedspreads so that there is no slipping and accidental scratches. The transportation of unique furniture itself is carried out as accurately as possible, without haste, the truck should move at a speed of no more than 60 km / h, and it is better to lay the path itself in advance so that you do not meet unpleasant holes, dangerous sections of the road, bumps and other irregularities along the way.
1. First of all, when loading, take out of the apartment and, therefore, send into the truck, large-sized furniture. Huge wardrobes, corner sofas, beds, dressers, and shelves - all this is better to immediately load into the car. It is the large furniture that will become the first tier on which small pieces of furniture can be loaded. Chairs, ottomans, stools, small bedside tables - all this comes last.
2. When disassembling furniture, prepare a few small cardboard boxes, a couple of ordinary bags, and scotch tape. As soon as you remove the nails, screws, screws, immediately put them in a separate bag, which you then tape to the plywood (the largest part of the disassembled cabinet or another object that you have taken apart). This way you will definitely not lose anything. For reliability, a package with fittings can be signed, and if there are too many small parts, then it is better to distribute them in different packages and mark them separately.
3. Take care of the upholstery: be sure to cover the upholstered furniture with stretch tape so that it does not get dirty or damaged during transportation. If the furniture is unique, expensive, then do not forget to prepare the floor of the truck van and lay some kind of blanket or large pieces of cardboard so as not to damage the legs of the furniture.
4. The same rule with a stretch tape applies to all large-sized objects: the risk of hitting the wall, accidentally dropping it, is large enough, so do not spare the tape.
5. Sometimes, when the furniture is too large and it is not possible to disassemble it, it does not fit a little into the room doorway. Try to dismantle the platbands - perhaps exactly those 3-5 centimeters are something you need.
6. If you have a particularly important piece of furniture, an antique chest or a wardrobe with glass doors, then it is better to secure its transportation as much as possible: prepare special belts that can be used to attach the furniture to the van or order a furniture truck.
7. Never put or load home furnishings, furniture, or other things on a leather sofa - you can ruin the material.
8. What can be taken out of the cabinets - take out. All items, books, shelves - all this is packed separately so that it does not accidentally fall out during transportation.